Saturday, February 21, 2009

Je suis le petit chou...




Most hate it when their parents reminisce about the "cute" things they used to do as children. Fall asleep on the potty, drink out of the dog's water bowl, take baths with the neighbor kids, the usual. Well mine is a story of a true slow food foodnik. My Da loves to talk about how he would come home and find me sitting on the front porch with a half eaten head of raw cabbage in my lap. Then, we lived in Anderson, Texas a little mustard seed of a town where a kid could safely sit on her porch eating produce. We had a backyard full of dewberry bushes and a little path that led to our neighbor's prize winning garden. I felt sort of like Peter Cottontail sneaking things out of his garden, little did I know that he and my parents had a secret pact allowing me to pick things on my own. I would come back from his garden with a giant head of cabbage or lettuce, and from what my parents swear, whole onions that I would eat whole like an apple. Ah, the good old days. (Can I even say that yet, I mean I'm not even two decades old yet?!)

Look Ma I can make coleslaw!


3-4 cups purple cabbage (the best cabbage)
2 "shaved" carrots
1 tsp whole celery seeds
1 tsp whole yellow mustard seeds
1 tsp whole brown mustard seeds
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tbs mayonnaise
1 tbs sour cream
2 tsp sugar (you can add more to taste)

Wisk together all spices, vinegar, sour cream and mayonnaise like a dressing. You can use the bowl you are going to serve in! Add shredded cabbage and carrots, toss and eat. In your face Chick-fil-a.

0 comments: